Online and Searchable Resources for Topics Related To Adrian, Michigan, listed in chronological Order of publication:
Aerial View Map of Adrian, Michigan, drawn and published by A. Ruger, 1866.
Adrian City Directories, including years 1870, 1874, 1885, 1890, 1911, 1915, 1921. Additional Adrian City Directories are available in the Archives of the Lenawee County Historical Museum and in the History Room of the Adrian Public Library.
Combined Atlases of Lenawee County, Michigan: 1874, 1893, 1916 (Reprinted in 1974)
Whitney, W. A., and R. I. Bonner, History and Biographical Record of Lenawee County, Michigan..., Volume 1, 1879, and Volume 2, 1880
Memoirs of Lenawee County, Michigan, Richard Illenden Bonner, editor, 1909
Julieanna Frost, Images of America: Adrian, 2011
Books on American House Architecture (*Recommended)
Archer, John. Architecture and Suburbia: From English Villa to American Dream House, 1690-2000. Minneapolis, MN: University of Minnesota Press, 2005.
Baker, John Milnes. American House Styles: A Concise Guide. New York, NY: W. W. Norton Company, 1994.
*Carley, Rachel. The Visual Dictionary of American Domestic Architecture (illustrations by Ray Skibinski and Ed Lam). New York, NY: Henry Holt and Company, 1994.
Foley, Mary Mix. The American House (drawings by Madelaine Thatcher, foreword by James Marston Fitch). New York, NY: Harper & Row, Publishers, 1980
Green, Betsy J.. Discovering the History of Your House and Your Neighborhood. Santa Monica, CA: Santa Monica Press, 2002.
Harris, Cyril M. American Architecture An Illustrated Encyclopedia. New York, NY: W. W. Norton & Company, 1998.
O'Gorman, Tom, Doreen Ehrlich, Sandra Forty, and Abby Moor. The Houses We Live In: An Identification Guide to the History and Style of American Domestic Architecture (Jeffery Howe general editor). London, England: PRC Publishing Ltd, 2002.
Light, Sally. House Histories: A Guide to Tracing the Genealogy of Your Home. Spencertown, NY: Golden Hill Press, 1989.
*McAlester, Virginia and Lee. A Field Guide to American Houses, New York: Alfred A. Knopf, 1998.
Massey, James C. and Shirley Maxwell. House Styles in America: The Old-House Journal Guide to the Architecture of American Homes. New York, NY: Penguin Studio, 1996.
*Phillips, Steven J.. Old-House Dictionary: An Illustrated Guide to American Domestic Architecture 1600 to 1940. New York, NY: 1994.
*Reiff, Daniel D.. Houses from Books: Treatises, Pattern Books, and Catalogs in American Architecture, 1738–1950: A History and Guide. University Park, PA: Penn State Press, 2001.
*Simpson, Pamela H.. Cheap Quick & Easy: Imitative Architectural Materials. Knoxville, TN: University of Tennessee Press, 1999.
*Smeins, Linda E.. Building an American Identity: Pattern Book Homes & Communities, 1870-1900. Walnut Creek, CA: AltaMira Press, 1999.
Walker, Lester. American Shelter: An Illustrated Encyclopedia of the American Home (revised edition, preface by Lester Walker). Woodstock, NY: The Overlook Press, 1997.
Wiffen, Marcus. American Architecture Since 1780: A Guide to the Styles (Revised Edition). Cambridge, MA: The MIT Press, 1996.
Books About Adrian And Lenawee County
Lindquist, Charles. Lenawee County: A Harvest of Pride and Promise: An Illustrated History. Chatsworth, CA, 1990 (ISBN-13: 978-0897813372).
_____. Adrian: The City that Worked: A History of Adrian, Michigan, 1825-2000. Adrian: Lenawee County Historical Society, 2004. Available through Boundary Post Books.
Publications for Sale at the Lenawee County Historical Museum (http://www.lenaweemuseum.org/contact.html)
- $1.00 Adrian ‘Sesqui’ Memories, 1975
- $10.00 Pathways to Knowledge by Ruth E. Sherman, 1988
- $14.00 Lenawee Reflections by Charles Lindquist, 1992. Articles about local history that appeared in the Adrian Daily Telegram in 1988 and 1989
- $12.00 The Teeter & Wobble by Bob Sell and Jim Findlay, 1993
- $5.00 Lenawee in World War II by Charles Lindquist, 1996
- $9.00 Early Adrian by AAUW, 1999
- $10.00 The Antislavery-Underground Railroad Movement in Lenawee County, Michigan 1830-1860 by Charles Lindquist, 1999
- $20.00 Spanning the Years: A History of Blissfield, MI, 1824-1999 by Charles Lindquist, 2000
- $15.95 Wreck on the Wabash: The 1901 Railroad Disaster in Lenawee County, Michigan by Laurie Dickens, 2001
- $25.00 Night of the Wind: The Palm Sunday Tornado of April 11, 1965 by Dan Cherry, 2002
- $12.00 4th Michigan Infantry at the Battle of New Bridge, Virginia by Martin Bertera, 2003
- $20.00 Adrian: The City That Worked, A History of Adrian, Michigan, 1825-2000 by Charles Lindquist, 2004
- $10.00 The Early History of Clintonites by Frank L. Woodward, 2006
- $20.00 Images of America: Tecumseh, The First Century by Kern Kuipers and Amanda Payeur, 2006
- $15.00 Reflections: A Pictorial History of Lenawee County by The Daily Telegram, 2007
- $25.00 Along the Trails on Michemanetue by Dan Cherry, 2009
- $15.00 Yesterday and Today in Hudson by Ray Lennard, 2010
- $15.00 Yesterday and Today at Devils Lake by Ray Lennard, 2011
- $21.99 Images of America: Adrian by Julianna Frost, 2011
- $40.00 Memories of Addison by Dan Cherry, 2013
- $24.95 Old Barns and Country Skills in Southeast Michigan by Derek P. Brereton, 2013
- $15.00 Yesterday and Today in Adrian by Ray Lennard, 2013
- $21.99 Images of America: Blissfield by Bob Barringer, 2014
- $12.00 Our Journey of Faith: Historical Sketches of St. Joseph Church [Adrian], 1863-2013 by Jan Richardi, 2014
- $30.00 Fifty Years Later… April 11, 1965 The Palm Sunday Tornado by Dan Cherry, 2015
- $18.00 Looking @ Lenawee by Jan Richardi, 2015. 77 of Richardi’s articles from the Lenawee County Historical Society newsletter
The SEEDS OF TIME Series booklets for sale at the Lenawee County Historical Museum (http://www.lenaweemuseum.org/contact.html), $2.50 each:
- Adrian at the Turn of the Century by Gertrude Miller Long—a view of Adrian in the late 19th and early 20th century
- Fencing the World: Adrian’s PAGE in History by Jan Richardi—a brief history of the woven wire fence company that helped Adrian become the “Fence Capital of the World”
- Sile Doty: Lenawee’s Most Notorious Outlaw by Jim Path
- Early Vacations at the Lakes of Lenawee by Gertrude Miller Long—vacationing in the early 20th century, especially Devils Lake and Sand Lake
- It’s Just Offal, being a sampling of complaints regarding olfactory annoyances in Adrian, Michigan, 1873-1916 by Jan Richardi—outhouses and other smelly things
- That Ole’ Demon Rum by Jim Path—on the Temperance Movement
- The Toledo War (and the Battle of Phillips Corners) by Jim Path—the battle which determined that Toledo would be in Ohio, not Michigan
- The “Heavenly” Laura Haviland by Charles Lindquist—an overview of Aunt Laura’s work to aid slaves
- The Adrian LION by Charles Lindquist—about one of three automobiles produced in Adrian in the early 20th century and how the Historical Museum got one in 2001
- The Lenawee Homefront during World War I by Jan Richardi—some surprising similarities between 1917-1918 and 2001
- Camp Williams: Adrian College and the 4th Regiment by Ray Lennard—the assembling of the MI 4th during the early days of the Civil War
- George B. Horton and the Grange by Carolyn Holden—the role played by Horton in the state and county grange movement
- Adrian’s “Angells” by Charles Lindquist—women in business, professional and charitable activities, 1900-1925
- The Underground Railroad in Lenawee by Charles Lindquist—an overview of the work of Laura Haviland and the other Lenawee operators of the Underground Railroad
- The PRINCE of Adrian by Jan Richardi—the story of the remarkable cocker spaniel Prince Tom who was a champion in both obedience and field trials
- Welcome Home Again: Adrian's Home Comers Festivals by Jan Richardi—an overview of the five festivals held in 1905, 1906, 1907, 1909, and 1911
- Adrian's Carnegie Library: An Ornament to the City by Jan Richardi—the story of how this structure, now the Lenawee County Historical Museum, was funded and built
- Allan Pinkerton Comes to Adrian by Jim Path—Pinkerton solves Adrian's great train robbery of 1854
- The LION Tamers by Bruce Wright—the story of how an Adrian automobile was discovered in the Australia bush
Maps for sale at the Lenawee County Historical Museum (http://www.lenaweemuseum.org/contact.html)
- 1866 birds-eye view map of Adrian $4.00 each or two for $7.00
- 1889 birds-eye view map of Adrian $4.00 each or two for $7.00
- 1844 [?] map of Lenawee County $4.00
- 1900 map of Lenawee County (in color) $6.00